Sunday, December 27, 2009

Shop, shop 'til you you drop!

I hope you have all had a super Christmas - and like me eaten too much turkey & christmas pud, and in need of some serious excercise! Well my husband & I did get out on Boxing Day for a long walk, not so much of a power walk as a brisk walk, but it felt good to get some fresh air and stretch those legs!

However today was the first day of the real sales (M & S at least) so I spent many hours and did a couple of miles walking from shop to shop, I guess that doesn't count as 'training' but I got some great bargains!

Well, where was I on my 2009 PW finish ? Oh yes, having picked up my pace from Bride church, I saw my work colleague finish at Andreas with injuries which made me more determined to continue to Lezayre. Despite the fading light and the roads becoming darker, (I was still walking solo) the cars seemed to become faster and more frightening on the roads through to Lezayre and onwards! The walk into Ramsey was welcoming as the town was buzzing with Northern folk having a night out and PW supporters grabbing a drink and quick bite to eat in the Square as they cheered us on. It was shortly after this that I heard Janice Quirk (1st woman home ) had finished in Douglas - I was still in the North of the island and some five hours away from finishing! I remember thinking 'that's amazing' and I still had all those miles left to walk.
The walk to Maughold Church was a very lonely one and particularly dark, however after the Church check in I started to pass more and more walkers, one by one - these were the walkers that sprightly passed me in the first half of the race, it was my turn now to show them how to do it! I had to use a torch on the journey from the Church to the Hibernia as it was so dark. My sister Heather was following me on the internet and texting me, whilst I was texting her back I was stunmbling into the hedge a couple of times and almost lost my balance whilst chuckling to myself. My husband and support driver for the night was ahead as there were many cars on that narrow road following a group of walkers.

So, how was I feeling at this point? Well it's something like 1.30am and you have been walking for 17 hours plus, feeling very tired with hot feet, aching shoulders and thinking "What am I doing out here?" "What's happening at home? " Lot's of strange things go through your head when you have time to think - like what will I eat when I finish , as it's really very difficult to eat whilst walking and you don't actually taste anything, you eat because you know you have to, to keep up your stamina -Ian my hubby & night support, cooked me pasta tubes and dressed it in a little olive oil and a some finely grated cheese for me to nibble on from time to time and I truly believe this got me through the second half when he took over the night shift. I would eat this again as it was small bites & easy to eat with your fingers. More about this next ....year ....

Have a safe and fun New Years eve and I wish you all a healthy & happy New Year ! Here's to the Parish Walk 2010!
Warmest regards, Angie x

No comments:

Post a Comment