Monday, January 4, 2010

Fifth Fabulous Finish - 2009

Hi there

Hope you all had a great festive season , and getting back to some 'normality' ! Well the weather makes it harder to get out and train, or to stop eating those left overs and chocolates - but if you did make a New Years resolution, I wonder if you have stuck to it! I never make one as I don't feel it's a good time of year to make sacrifices, dark winter nights, the need for warm and hearty food, and the long wait for Spring time.

I did go out early Sunday morning and walked for 6-7 miles - it was icy but calm and I was well wrapped up, my legs are a bit stiff today (may have something to do with my ice skating fall on New Years Day ouch - it hurt!)

In my last blog I was telling you about my last years Parish Walk where I got up to the Hibernia (after Maughold) -The first year I completed the walk, my husband & support driver Ian, stopped the car at the top of the Hibernia waiting for me to get to the top of the hill and fell asleep - I remember thinking as I walked past him - should I wake him or leave him for a snooze - (he is a Postie and had been up since 5am the previous morning) it was some 40 minutes before he caught me up- was I glad to see him.

Next comes the Glen Mona and The Dhoon stretch on the way to Laxey, there were still a few walkers infront and behind , you can tell because there are more cars coming and going and voices in the darkness ahead and behind. It's a good feeling to see Lonan Church looming as it is almost a mile from the main road to get to it and the same back down again! As I walked down the Whitebridge Hill ( I really dislike walking down here because of the traffic - at any time of the day) my parents and sister drove up , horns blowing , lights flashing, boy was it good to see them, although Mum & Dad had been out the night before with me up to Andreas. I happily walked into Onchan village, my home for 27 years although there was no one around it felt good to be 'home' and take the turning into the Butt and up to my Onchan Parish Church - this Sunday I was too early for the morning communion I often attend. Peter & Bridget Kaneen were checking me in at the church gates and said to me these words of encouragement - 'Keep going there are a few ahead of you and you can catch them, go, go Angie' I was feeling great and stepped up a gear to find the walkers ahead -I passed by my own front door on Royal Avenue, where 2 of my son's were waiting for me, (the eldest was at Uni) I did pass 3 walkers on Royal Avenue and Port Jack area but the one guy on the Promenade ahead was just too strong for me! Well done Martin!

Crossing the line at the War Memorial on Douglas Promenade, with many of my family there was just fantastic, I never believed I would manage to complete the Parish again following my illness - but there you are, never say never! If you have a goal, go for it, no matter what happens to you in life, get up and live it - you only get one chance!

Thanks for reading - Angie

1 comment:

  1. At least you won't get tempted to stop at the house like many from the West & North do!

    Keep up the training & blogging!

    ReplyDelete