Sunday, January 17, 2010

Toe nails - or lack of them!

Oh my goodness where has the time gone since my last blog!! Well I have been busy with this and that! .. and I have been out training!

I didn't get out in the snow to train apart from having to walk to work on the Tuesday .. in my wellies! Which was fine going in the fresh snow in the morning but walking back home from Douglas to Onchan in the evening on the trodden snow made it very slippy for me in my farmyard footwear!

How beautiful and peaceful every where looked and sounded with out the noise of the cars all around us. As I walked home I must have seen a dozen snowmen in the gardens on route and one excellent polar bear at my neighbour's! It is so rare to get the dry and plentiful snowfall, I am sure all the children enjoyed it!

Does any other Parish Walker suffer with a loss of toe nails after/during the walk? Not just one toe nail but several! On my first finish in 1997, not sure how I was supposed to feel, look or act post Parish Walk apart from surprised, and shattered, when one day I noticed something stuck in my sock! It was a small toe nail - I hadn't anticipated this to happen - after many hours walking, your feet almost become numb from being constantly pounding the pavements and being stuck in the same trainers for so long- Mine longer than many others! Over a couple of weeks one by one of my nails dropped off and 'sadly' I kept them in a small box- I think I lost 5 or 6. One week later I went to school at 3.30pm to collect our sons and our 7 year old came out to say his teacher wanted to see me! Not again I thought, as he is the middle one he always seemed to be getting up to mischief. Mrs Q asked me if I had lost anything, no I thought, and she produced one of my 'dropped off' toenails she had confiscated earlier!! James had been scaring all the girls with this 'giant' toe nail . Each time I finish the Walk I lose between 4-6 toe nails and it takes time for them to re-grow - My big toe nail has just this last week grown to full length since June 2009.

Sorry if you are squeamish, I hope you weren't eating your lunch reading this - still it's never as bad as Dudley's foot photo!

My husband & I went out this morning and walked for over 2 hours - not sure how far it was but it felt good and we enjoyed good weather. I think this year I will have completed the most training ever, blogging makes me get out there and WALK!

Have a good week - Angie

1 comment:

  1. Mine used to fall off but have since ceased.

    I'm not sure whether this is because of changes to technique or if I've just beaten them into submission.

    I still use the same brand of trainers.

    Perhaps someone with a more scientific bent could explain this for us?

    ReplyDelete