Monday, December 7, 2009

"Doing the Lambden Walk "

When Murray asked me 2 weeks ago if I was entering the 2010 Parish Walk, I immediately said 'yes' - next question was "would you like to be one of our bloggers ?" Always ready for a challenge I agreed, then I asked Murray how often I was expected to blog - he replied about once a week! Oh heck I thought I usually have plenty to say but what if I dry up and I receive comments of "Boo -Get off" - oh well here goes - be nice to me!

I looked on the website on December 1st to see if anyone had already signed up for the 2010 Parish Walk and about 6 or so had done so soon after midnight - that's a great start - I had better get my entry in to show my support and committment to fellow walkers. Today there are 57 (varieties) of you.

So continuing from where I left off from Blog 1....... after 4 full finishes from 1997 to 2001 why did it take me so long to attempt the full distance again? In 2002 (just turned 40) I was diagnosed with breast cancer - shock, horror, disbelief - I had always led an active, healthy life - how come? why me? what next? what if ..........?
Following excellent treatment and care at Nobles Hospital, more treatment at Clatterbridge Hospital, total love and support from my family & friends I survived to spread the word that people can survive the big 'C' and get their lives back on track. I walked into Peel the following year to a huge cheer from the Parish Walk supporters in Peel, with a huge tear in my eye.

This years Parish Walk, without confirming I was intending to walk the distance, I set off with everyone else wondering just where my finish would be......... more next time!

Twice a week my friend, Karen & I walk for about an hour - well its more talk than walk - but it's great to get out in the fresh air and take the excercise -we will try to increase the distance in the New Year- for those who know me will remember I don't put in too much mileage for The Parish - hence the 20 plus hours!! But for me it's about the camaraderie, the lovely scenery, the friendly, encouraging banter from other walkers' supporters and that great experience crossing the FINISH line no matter what time!

No comments:

Post a Comment